Tuesday, September 27, 2011

It takes a Terrier


Yesterday on my way to work, driving up the 110 Freeway, I was bemoaning the fact that I once again had to go to work. Not only was it Monday, the first and worst day of the week, but I was exceptionally tired and in no mood to deal with all the traffic that I was facing. The freeway had done its usual stop at its junction with the 105 Freeway and was just beginning to move again when all of the lights ahead of me flashed red, and everyone around me started slowing down and stopping, again. I noticed that there was a woman in her mid-20s to mid-30s running towards me down the freeway. I thought, what the heck is going on! Then I saw the little terrier mix running away from the woman down the middle of the freeway. This woman had stopped her car in the middle of the 110 Freeway, jumped out, and was attempting to rescue this poor little creature, who obviously didn’t understand that she was the best thing that was going to happen to him this day. 

In fact, as I glanced around me, everyone was slowing down, stopping, and attempting to help this dog. There were people opening up their car doors as he ran past in an attempt to grab him. He was eluding everyone. Finally, two motorcyclists, acting like shepherds, herded the terrier mix to the side of the freeway, where the original woman who had jumped out of her car, and another woman with the foresight to jump out with a bag of treats, corralled the dog.
 
As I continued on to work after witnessing this rescue, I was overwhelmed with emotion. At no point did anyone honk with impatience while the rescue was underway. This little dog showed me I am surrounded by good people, more so than I would have ever thought.

140279tiogzlwuse.jpg image by petpurri

No comments:

Post a Comment