Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A Little Love Goes a Long Way



Everybody was so needy last night, including me.  I just wanted to get everyone fed, walked, brushed, litter boxes cleaned, and then it would be my time.  Couch time.  Work was hard, traffic was worse, and I deserved some "me" time.

Jammies on, feet on the coffee table, check.  Channel surfing and vegging, here I come.  Not. 

Kumquat was the first.  He somehow wriggled his little funny head beneath my idle hand and basically forced my hand to pet him.  Sneaky Squirrel climbed into my lap and rearranged himself every two minutes because he can never get quite comfortable enough.

And then Barney the fat little senior stood at my feet and barked.  He can't jump up on the couch but it wouldn't matter if he could.  He hates sitting on the couch.  He stands at the foot of the couch and barks until I am sitting with him on the floor.  Hardwood floor.

And now here come the cats.  But why wouldn't they, after all they spend most of the day alone while I'm at work.  The whole crew was relelentless, they would not be denied.  Everyone got their pets and their ear scratches and their belly rubs.  Except me.

Which brings to mind the millions of animals languishing alone in shelters.  If you have even an hour a week to volunteer, or just occasional time to go in and say hello and give them a pet, please do so.  It makes a world of difference to them, and a little bit of socialization makes them that much more adoptable.

And remember, October is Adopt-A-Dog Month.

And that's Wednesday's Woof!


1 comment:

  1. Aww....it may not have been exactly the way you wanted it but you sure got lots of attention!!! Thanks for the October Adopt a Dog reminder!!

    ReplyDelete