Monday, October 10, 2011

My Blue Oak


Earlier I wrote about the loss of my beloved Jacaranda tree.  The City had determined that it was "crooked" and overgrowing the parkway and needed to be removed in order for them to replace the curb in front of my house.  A curb from what I could tell did not need to be replaced.  When I spoke to the city arborist about replacing the tree, I was informed that it could be replaced with a Blue Oak tree, not another Jacaranda, unless I wanted to purchase the Jacaranda.  To his credit, he did say that if I purchased the Jacaranda, he would send some of his guys over to plant it for me but if I went with the Blue Oak tree, it wouldn't cost me anything.

When I looked both trees up on the Internet, I learned that the Jacaranda was native to South Africa and the Blue Oak was native to Southern California.  After giving it some thought, I decided to go with the Blue Oak, not because it wasn't going to cost me anything, although that was a consideration, but because it was a native of Southern California, like me.  So, I got the paperwork, sent it in, promised to care for the tree, and was informed that I would have a 60 day wait before the tree was delivered.

Well, the tree arrived a few days ago.  It is little, maybe 8 feet tall, and scrawny with a few leaves at its top.  But I'm so glad it's here.  It may seem silly but I say good morning to it every day when I leave for work, and hello to it when I return.  Even though I still miss my Jacaranda, and nothing will replace it, I'm anxious to watch this little guy grow and develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment